Leopard – First Take

As most Mac owners know, yesterday Apple released OS X 10.5, code-name Leopard. Some lucky customers, including those of us in Computing Services here at Thayer School received our copies and have begun installing and playing. I have successfully installed it on my MacBook Pro, but have run into a few software issues that I thought I’d document in the hopes that it may save someone some time and effort somewhere.

• Cisco VPN
    I know this is an odd one to have first, but I use this a lot from home, so this might have been a deal-breaker. Although the 4.9.00 version does not work with Leopard, the latest version, 4.9.01 (0080), has worked well for me – no kernel panics or other trouble. And, my favorite little front-end for it, Shimo works like a champ in Leopard!
  • Microsoft Office 2004
    I wish I could say we didn’t need this, but we do. I normally run the included “Office Setup Assistant” to customize my install. Unfortunately, once you get to step 3 (User Information), the installer freezes and must be force-quit. The workaround is to do the “drag-install” by dragging the Office folder to Applications. However, once you do this, if you try to run an Office app, you’ll be plopped right back at the same user customization screen that will be frozen. The way I found around this was to do all the available Office updates before trying to run anything. Here are the updates you’ll need:
    1. 11.3.5
    2. 11.3.6
    3. 11.3.7
    4. 11.3.8

Once all the updates are done, customization and subsequent running of the apps works fine.

• XCode 3.0
    Apple has also released XCode 3.0, which includes DashCode for building all those snazzy widgets. Fink, at least, requires that you install XCode 3.0. I’m not even sure XCode 2.4 would install on Leopard, so you should probably get this if you’re going to be doing any compiling under Leopard
  • MacPorts
    MacPorts installed fine under 10.5, but some of the ports seem not to work correctly. In trying to build wireshark, tiff failed to build with the following error message:
    ld: cycle in dylib re-exports with /usr/X11/lib/libGL.dylib
    I haven’t spent any time yet trying to sort this out, but hopefully it’s nothing too major.
  • Fink
    Although there is no fink binary yet for 10.5, the source compiles and works fine. Follow the directions on fink’s homepage to download the tarball, and then just bootstrap it like this:
    $ tar zxf fink-0.27.7.tar.gz
    $ cd fink-0.27.7
    fink-0.27.7$ ./bootstrap

So far, everything I’ve tried building with fink (fileutils and wireshark) has compiled fine.
  • Mail.app
    Mail seemed to import all my mail and work fine, but I did have some funkiness (although to be fair, I had some funkiness in Tiger, too). In particular, lots of messages saved locally had no bodies, and both the Activity window and the new “Mail Activity” in the sidebar seemed to be broken. So, I just trashed my ~/Library/Mail folder and com.apple.mail.plist and started over. Since I did this, Mail is much better behaved, and I was able to manually import all my old local folders. I still haven’t gotten my digital signature working yet – it’s in my keychain, but Mail doesn’t see it.
  • SafariBlock
    My favorite ad-blocker for Safari doesn’t seem to work in Leopard. I found reference to Apple’s developer release notes stating that InputManagers are deprecated in Leopard and may be removed in future releases. There’s a blog post here with a potential workaround, but I haven’t tried it myself. I may try Privoxy to see if it meets my needs, although it may be a bit overkill.

That’s it for now. I’ll post more comments as I run across any other interesting tidbits or gotchas…

Comments 4

1. pecos bill wrote:

Input Managers reportedly work if they are installed correctly into /Library/Input Managers with correct security and pass the limitations. They are deprecated though and may disappear with a dot-rev.

http://macromates.com/blog/2007/inputmanagers-on-leopard/

Posted 31 Oct 2007 at 3:36 pm
  2. john smith wrote:

Do you know how to install GreenPrint on leopard?

Posted 01 Nov 2007 at 11:19 am
  3. mdailey wrote:

pecos bill – thanks for this info. I had read some similar info over the past few days, and this does seem to be a valid workaround.

In the meantime, I decided to re-try using Firefox and am using Adblock Plus. So far, this blows SafariBlock away. There are few minor annoyances, like the inability to display PDF’s inline (unless you use Rosetta and Shubert-it PDF Browser Plugin), but overall, I think I’m a convert. :-)

Posted 01 Nov 2007 at 11:41 am
  4. mdailey wrote:

john smith – We don’t use GreenPrint here at Thayer School, so I’m not sure about it’s status on Leopard. I’d keep an eye on the official Dartmouth page about GreenPrint (http://www.dartmouth.edu/comp/resources/facilities/clusters/greenprint/) for any changes or updates.

Posted 01 Nov 2007 at 2:23 pm